Sunday, January 22, 2023

Queen Margrethe of Denmark - Christmas Reply (2022)

A lovely reply arrived yesterday from Denmark. I had written to Queen Margrethe to wish her a Merry Christmas.

I was very surprised when I got this envelope as it was much larger than what we normally see from the Denmark Royals. So, I know it was something special. 

Normal Envelope vs. This Reply


The front of the envelope is still the usual postmark from Amalienborg, the palace complex where Queen Margrethe and other royals have their office. 


The back of the envelope features the same crown we normally see on Queen Margrethe's envelopes, but it is red instead of black and has "Amalienborg" written underneath.  In my many years of writing to the Denmark Royals, my replies from Queen Margrethe have always used the same envelope. So, this is a pretty significant difference. We can tell from the letter itself that the mail didn't come from the usual Aide-de-camp.


Inside is a letter from Hennnig Fode, Queen Margrethe's Private Secretary. He is one of the most senior members of her staff and thus is warranted his own stationery. My early replies from Queen Margrethe were from Ingelise Riedel, one of Queen Margrethe's secretaries. And then from 2017 on, they were all signed by Aides-de-Camp. 

This is the first letter I have received from Queen Margrethe that actually seems personalized to me. I mentioned in my letter how much I enjoyed the Christmas Calendar on the Denmark Royal's website. And had thanked them for including an English language version. I haven't seen anyone else get their 2022 Christmas Reply from Queen Margrethe yet, so, I can't say what others have gotten. But my assumption is, like with many other royals, a section of mail is shown to Queen Margrethe, and then personally replied to by her staff. This is why this is on different stationary and personalized. 

The letter says: 

The Private Secretary to Her Majesty The Queen

Miss Gertrude Daly                                                                                                 Amalienborg

[My Address]                                                                                                    January 10, 2023


Dear Gertrude Alexandra Daly

Her Majesty the Queen has asked me to thank you for your kind wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 

It pleases Her Majesty to learn that you enjoyed following the Christmas Calendar on the Royal House's website. 

Yours sincerely, 

Henning Fode

If you compare it with last year's, you can see this letter is much bigger. And was not a generic form letter like we've seen in the past.


 

Back to Replies - Main Page