Monday, August 27, 2018

Duchess Meghan - Confirmation Reply (2018)

A reply arrived last week from the UK.

I had written to Duchess Meghan back in March when she was still just Meghan Markle, to congratulate her on her Confirmation into the Church of England. I really wasn't expecting a reply, given that Meghan wasn't married to Prince Harry yet. So, this was definitely a surprise to receive.

The reply came just over 5 months after I sent my letter. Which is a pretty long response time. But understandable for how busy they have been. (I've yet to receive my reply for Prince Louis's birth or the Sussexs's Wedding either.)

The envelope is the usual from the British Royals. But you will notice the double postmark. The Red EIIR postmark comes from the Court Post Office at Buckingham Palace. The 2nd black postmark is from the Mount Plesant Mail Centre, where most international mail is sorted before heading to Heathrow Airport. The 2nd postmark is accidental. We use to see it only occasionally, but now it's been happening pretty often.



The back of the envelope features the black Kensington Palace Cypher that Correspondence Section at Clarence House uses for the Cambridges & Sussexs's replies.



Inside is a letter from Claudia Spens, head of the Correspondence Section at Clarence House.


The message reads:
Dear Miss Daly, 
The Duchess of Sussex has asked me to thank you for your letter of 14th March. I apologise for the delay in replying. We have been overwhelmed by the thousands of letters and cards received this year and it is taking much longer to respond than usual. 
It was so kind of you to take the trouble to write as you did. Her Royal Highness appreciated your generous words of support and has asked me to send you her warmest thanks and best wishes. 
Yours sincerely,  
Claudia Spens

Sadly, the message doesn't make any mention that I wrote for Meghan's confirmation.