Saturday, March 2, 2019

Writing to the Royals Q&A - March & April (2019)

As always post your questions about Writing to the Royal, and we will get to them as soon as possible. If you have questions about the royals in general check out our main site.

Question 1:How much in advance do you recommend to send birthday cards? (I'm sorry if you already answered this question!) 

Answer: Short answer. I think about 2 weeks in advance is perfect. 

You can find our longer answer under our Frequently Asked Question

Question 2:I want to send a letter to Meghan for her pregnancy so when could I send it??

Answer: For pregnancies, I usually write when the pregnancy is announced to send my congratulations. And then write again when the baby is born. 

If you want to write for the pregnancy, you can do it at any time. But if you want to send your congratulations on the birth of the little Sussex baby, I would wait till after the baby is born. I usually wait a few days till we find out the baby's name. 

Question 3: I am wondering if it is appropriate to send multiple letters to the Royals in the same envelope? Ex. Sending Prince Louis's birthday card and William and Kate's anniversary card in the same envelope as they both go to the same place? 

Answer: If you are sending a card, I think it is fine to send two cards, for two different events in the same envelope if they are going to the same people.  

If you were writing a letter, I think I would just combine the two events in one letter. 

Question 4: Is it okay to start a letter with ‘Dearest...’ or is it too much? 

Answer: I don't feel like "Dearest" is completely inappropriate, but it does seem like a bit much. I would probably just stick to "Dear."

Question 5: Have you ever written to the BRF for Easter?

Answer: No. I don't write to any royals for Easter. Although it might be something I would mention if I were writing for a person's birthday and it fell on or around Easter. 

Question 6: How does the Correspondence Section at Clarence House feel about a bit longer letters (page and a half)? 

Answer: I would keep your letters to one-page max. Clarence House is super, super busy. They are still sending out replies for events 6+ months ago. The longer the letter, the less likely they are to actually read the whole thing. And anything you can say in a page and a half, you can probably say much better in a page if you do some revising. 

Question 7: I would like to send a card to the Prince of Wales for Easter. Would it be rude or inappropriate to ask for the 70th birthday card, as I was late to send the letter, but would like to get the card? 


Answer: I never ask for anything, because personally, I find it a little rude. But I know other people have written to the British Royals asking for old cards before and they usually get one if there are any left. So, you can ask if you would like. 

Question 8: What do you think, when will the Clarence House finally stop being very behind with replying to the correspondence? and why are they behind?

Answer:  Clarence House is behind becuase they have had a lot of big events close together in the last year. Big events always mean they get a lot of mail, and they haven't been able to keep up.

  • September 2018 - Cambridge pregnancy announcement
  • Nov 2018 - Harry & Meghan's engagement
  • Nov/Dec - Christmas
  • April 2019 - Prince Louis's birth
  • May 2019 - Sussex wedding
  • July 2019 - Prince Louis's christening
  • Oct 2019 - Sussex pregnancy announcement 
  • Nov 2019 - Charles' 70th birthday 
(Plus, with all the new additions to the family, they are covering more events: 10x birthdays, 3 wedding annivs, etc.)

Given that they are still very behind, and we still have the Sussexs babies birth, I would expect Clarence House will continue to be very behind for a while. It usually takes them 6 months to send out all the replies for a royal birth. But it will likely be longer as they are already behind.


Question 9: How do you feel about @sussexroyal at Instagram? 

Answer:  I think it was the right move. I would love to see a twitter account as well. It will be interesting to see what they actually do with the account.