Thursday, September 19, 2019

King Juan Carlos of Spain - Surgery Reply (2019)

A lovely reply arrived today from Spain. I had written to King Juan Carlos to send him my best wishes for a speedy recovery following his triple by-pass surgery last month.

While I wrote to King Juan Carlos, this reply is actually from King Felipe's office, on behalf of King Felipe. I'm not sure why the letter was answered by his office and not Juan Carlos's. I wonder if it may have to do with the fact that King Juan Carlos officially retired from all royal duties earlier this year. So, undoubtedly his office has been substantially reduced.

The envelope is the usual from the Spanish Royals. Printed on the envelope is a circle with "Office of HM the King - Protocol" along with the King's coat of arms. The back of the envelope is blank.


The letter is written by Jaime Alfonsín, the head of King Felipe's Household. My 50th birthday reply from King Felipe was also written by Jamie Alfonsín. Whereas my letters from King Juan Carlos & Queen Sofia's office have all been written by Alfonso Sanz Portolés, their Head Secretariat.

Another way we can tell this letter is from King Felipe and not King Juan Carlos's office is the stationery. The top of the letter says, "The Head of HM the King's Household," in Spanish. Only the current titleholder is referred to by just the title, "The King." As you can see in the letter, Juan Carlos is referred to as "King Juan Carlos." 


The letter reads: 
The Head of HM the King's Household

Palace de la Zarzuela

September 11th, 2019
Miss Gertrude A. Daly [My Address] 

From the Chief of the Royal Household of His Majesty the King
On behalf of His Majesty the King, I convey his most sincere gratitude to you for your kind words of sympathy and support after King Juan Carlos's recent surgery.  
With kind regards,  
Jamie Alfonsín

This is the first letter I have gotten from the Spanish Royals in English. 

Back to Replies - Main Page