Saturday, February 3, 2018

Queen Margrethe & Prince Henrik - Christmas Reply (2017)

A lovely reply arrived today from Denmark. I had also written to Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik for Christmas.

They replied with a form letter, which sadly does not acknowledge I had addressed my Christmas letter to both Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik.

The letter is their usual with lovely textured edges.


The reply is from Johnnie Korsholm, one of the Queen's Aides-de-Camp.

The letter reads:
Dear Miss Daly,
Her Majesty the Queen has asked me to thank You for Your kind Christmas and New Year's greetings.  
Sincerely yours,  
Johnnie Karsholm
Aide-de-Camp

You will notice that the message has "You" and "Yours" capitalized. There is this old rule that any pronoun (I, You, Yours, His, Her, Their, Them, He, She, etc.) referring to a royal should be capitalized. Occasionally, we see this rule used in Royal replies, but even those that use it, don't use it consistently. However, this reply has misapplied this rule and capitalized the pronouns referring to me, a non-Royal. This is incorrect.

Back to Replies - Main Page