Monday, November 12, 2018

Writing to the Royals Q&A - November (2018)

As always post your questions about Writing to the Royal, and we will get to them as soon as possible. If you have questions about the royals in general check out our main site.

Question 1: I wrote to Princess Eugenie on the occasion of her wedding but I didn't put my address on the letter, only on the envelope. Would it be a problem?

Answer: It shouldn't be a problem. you don't absolutely need the address on your letter, but it's just good practice, in case the envelope gets separated from the letter. It also makes it much easier for them to reply if the address is on the letter. 

Question 2: Is there a chance to reply from the wedding H & M? 

Answer: If you wrote back in May for their wedding and are still waiting for a reply, just be patient. Clarence House received thousands of letters & cards for the different royal events this year. They are still working on sending out all the replies for Harry & Meghan's wedding. I haven't gotten mine yet.

Question 3: Have you ever wrote to Royal Family from Greece or another Dynasties deposed? 


Answer: I have written to the Greek Royals, I think at least twice. I never got a reply from them, but I have seen other people get replies. 

I have written to a few other former Monarchies over the years. I don't write a lot as I am not as interested in them. Most of the time I haven't gotten a reply, but I do have two replies from former monarchies. You can see them here

Question 4: Do you write to Sweden royal family on Christmas? 

Answer: I have written to King Carl Gustaf & Queen Silvia a number of times in the past for Christmas, but have never gotten a reply. 

Question 5: Are replies from Sandringham rare?

Answer: It depends on what you mean by rare. The Queen's mail is normally answered by her ladies-in-waiting at Buckingham Palace. So most people get a reply from Buckingham Palace.

But when the Queen's is at one of her other residences, her ladies-in-waiting bring along some mail to answer while they are there. Not all the mail, but some of it. (I'm not sure to what degree the mail is pre-sorted to decide what is taken, and what will just be answered at Buckingham Palace.)

So, there are a lot of people each year who will get a reply from Sandringham, Windsor, or Balmoral. I think of it as being extra special and I guess it is little rarer, but not super rare.

I've gotten two replies from Sandringham before for Christmas 2014 & 2015.

And no, I wouldn't try to write to the Queen at one of these residences, just to get a reply from there. That will only cause delays and possible non-answer. Mail to the Queen should always be sent to Buckingham Palace.

Question 6: Do you think the Cambridges will use the family pics from Charles birthday for their christmas card?

Answer: I don't think so. It's not a photo of just all 5 of them, so I don't think they will use it. We might see the family photo from Louis's Christening or a new photo.

Question 7: Do you think that the Prince of Wales will do anything special for his 70th birthday reply?

Answer: I don't think so. Clarence House doesn't really do special replies for extra special occasions. It's always the same type of photo card.

I think part of this is just because they always do nice replies. Not many royals send out a high-quality photocard like that for pretty much any event you write for.

Other royals send special cards for extra special occasions because their usual reply isn't all that special.

Question 8: To what address should I write to HSH Princess Stéphanie and HRH The Princess of Hanover? 

Answer: The address for the Monaco Royals is:

Palais de Monaco
Boite Postale 518
MC 98015 Monaco Cedex
MONACO

You can find our list of the different Royal addresses here.

Question 9: How many replies do you have?

Answer: I don't have a count of the number of replies, but more than 200 I believe. 

Question 10: What is your favorite reply? What is your favorite person to write to? 

Answer: It is so hard to pick a favorite reply. I have gotten so many wonderful replies over the years, and there isn't really anyone reply that stands out above all the others. But I think my favorites, in general, are definitely when you get something hand-written, or a copy of a hand-written message. But replies are also extra special when you get something extra-large, on really nice paper, with a photo or signed by a royal. 

As for my favorite person to write to, that is also really hard to answer. I don't write to all the Royals, just the ones I like and care, so it's hard to pick just one favorite. 

Question 11: When writing to Sarah, Duchess of York and The Duke of York for Christmas would I have to send to different cards? Or can I send just one. 

Answer: I would send two cards, as the couple is divorced and their mail is handled by different people. Andrew's is handled by his office, and Sarah's is forwarded on to her "office." 

Plus Sarah is the one who sends out the nice cards in reply. Andrew's office just replies with a basic letter. 

Question 12: Do you think Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank will send out their own Christmas card this year? Should I send one to them as well? 


Answer: Princess Eugenie's mail is handled by her father's office. They don't normally send out Christmas cards, just a basic letter. So I wouldn't expect anything special from Eugenie. 

Question 13: Is it OK just to say "Dear William & Catherine" or do I need to add their titles in my letter?

Answer: You can use either their name or title, depending on how formal you want to be. "William & Catherine" or "William & Kate" is perfectly acceptable. 

We have a whole page on how to address the british royals, here