Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Prince Carl Philip of Sweden - 40th Birthday Reply (2019)

A lovely reply arrived from Sweden this week. I had written to Prince Carl Philip back in May for his 40th birthday. This is my 5th reply from Sweden since I started writing in 2015.

The front of the envelope is the usual from the Swedish Royals. In the top left corner is the national coat of arms, with the address "Royal Court, Royal Palace, SE-107 70 Stockholm" written underneath.

.

This reply was certainly unexpected, as the Swedish Royals rarely reply. And when they do, not everyone gets one.

It is my belief that a lot of the times well-wishers may be receiving is actually "leftover" cards. For events like birthdays, births, christenings, etc. the Swedish Palace creates a card to send out to important people (e.g. Family, Friends, Government Officials, etc.). Sometimes, we see these cards get shared on social media. So, we see they are the same type of cards sent to well-wishers. What I think happens is the Palace firsts sends out cards to important people and then, if they have any extras, they send them out to well-wishers. 

This is why, only some people get replies and why, when you get a reply, it is usually always months after the event (5 months in this case). And it explains why I could write, for example, for every Swedish Royal Baby since 2015 and only get one reply. 

This is my first birthday reply. I've written for quite a few birthdays over the years, including a number of milestone birthdays like this. 

The front of the card features Prince Carl Philip's monogram. It has interlocking CPs under a crown. 


The inside left side features a typed message in Swedish and English, along with a printed-on signature. The signature is the same one used in Prince Gabriel's christening card and Prince Carl Philip & Princess Sofia's wedding card.


The card reads:
I wish to extend my sincere gratitude for all the kindness and thoughtfulness shown to me on the occasion of my birthday. 

Carl Philp

The inside right side features a lovely photo of Prince Carl Philip. The photo was taken by Sara Friberg and is from the set released for his 40th birthday.

Sara Friberg/Kungl. Hovstaterna


The back of the card is blank, except for a photo credit.

Back to Replies - Main Page