Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Prince Edward & Duchess Sophie's Mystery Reply (2022)

I received this reply from the UK back at the beginning on the year. I delayed in writing up a blog post on this reply because I was unsure which if my two recent cards this was replying to. 

I had written to Edward & Sophie in late 2022 for both Queen Elizabeth's death and for Christmas. And it is unclear from the message which of the two events this is for. I had hoped that I would eventually get a 2nd reply which would clarify. 

The front of the envelope is the usual from the couple. The Edinburghs Office staff is split between St. James's Palace in London and Bagshot Park in Bagshot. The Edinburghs are the only British Working Royals who mail is handled full time by an office outside of London. As a result their mail is not processed through the Court Post Office at Buckingham Palace and does not have that postmark. 

This postmark is a special one that historically was used for a number of royal residences. But nowadays, I just see it used by Bagshot Park. The only change to the postmark from Queen Elizabeth II's reign to now, was the swapping of the cypher in the lower left of the envelope.  


The back of the envelope features the couple's joint Coat of Arms. 



Inside is a letter written by a member of the Edinburgh's staff. At the time the letter was written, Prince Edward had not yet been given the Duke of Edinburgh Dukedom, so the couple were still the Earl and Countess of Wessex. 

The letter does not make any mention about what occasion I had written for. The Edinburghs/Wessex's office rarely replies. I only have a handful of replies from them over the years. So, I am hesitant to think this is a Christmas reply. I have only received one Christmas Reply from them in all my years of writing. 

I know the couple had a pre-made card they sent out following Queen Elizabeth's death. But it could be they ran out of those cards and decided not to print off more. And so, just replied with a letter.


The letter says: 

6th January 2023 

Dear Miss Daly, 

Thank you for your recent letter with kind words to the Earl and Countess of Wessex. Their Royal Highnesses send you their best wishes. 

 [Signature]

Household of TRH The Earl and Countess of Wessex


While the letter does not give the name of the staff member who signed the letter, the signature is similar to my 2019 reply from the couple signed by Jackie Phipps, their Secretarial Assistant.  


Leave a Comment about whether you think this reply is for Christmas or Queen Elizabeth's death.